1 onion, peeled, sliced and chopped
450g of mushrooms, peeled and sliced
1pt of vegetable stock
1pt of milk (full, semi or skimmed, whatever is your preference)
1 tsp of dried basil
Salt and pepper to season
- Place the onion in a deep saucepan with a little splash of warm water: cook until the onion is tender and becomes transparent in look.
- Add the vegetable stock and almost all the sliced mushrooms, keeping back a few to use to garnish the dish when cooked.
- Bring the ingredients up to boil and then turn down the heat to allow the ingredients to simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a frying pan, add the remaining sliced mushrooms and a splash of water: cook until they appear caramelised and then set aside.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and while stirring the mushrooms, slowly pour in the milk, stirring all the time. Return the saucepan to the hob and heat gently, adding the dried basil and season to taste.
- Serve in warmed dishes and atop each with the seperately cooked mushrooms.
Dawn: A simple and easy soup recipe to serve any time of day.
Andrew: Very nice, too. For more easy-to-cook meals, follow thsi blog – www.forfoodlovers.wordpress.com – and our Twitter feed @Love_Food_UK.