Remember those limp sandwiches from your school days? A bit of fish paste? Tomato that had soaked your bread overnight and fell apart in your hands, inadvertently ruining your Club biscuit in the process! The American Deli has changed all that! Here is a meal in itself.
Dawn: It looks well laden to me!
Andrew: Sure does! Salad, meat, colour and flavour to spare.
4 slices of bread of your choice, buttered
6 mini chicken fillets
A good handful of rocket
One large tomato, cut into 1/2 cm slices
One red onion cut into rings
Salt, pepper and vinegar to season
Mayonnaise or pesto sauce for flavour
Your choice of pickles
- In a large frying pan, heat a teaspoon of olive oil and fry the mini fillets on a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side until golden on both sides. Check they are thoroughly cooked.
- Spread a little pesto on the lower slice of bread and some mayonnaise on the upper slice.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing rocket leaves on the bottom slice of bread.
- Next, place the chicken on top, three per sandwich.
- Top with tomato slices, rings of raw red onion, and season to taste.
- Place your top slice of bread onto the small mountain of ingredients and slice in two at an angle, exposing the colours and textures inside.
- Serve with pickles of your choice, and fries, or sweet potato wedges for a healthier option.
Dawn: That is a very filling lunch Andrew.
Andrew: It is Dawn, and a perfect lunch for a busy worker to keep them going all afternoon.
For more fabulous ideas, follow the blog http://www.forfoodlovers.wordpress.com and our Twitter feed @Love_Food_UK, and don’t forget to like us on Facebook too.