This is a typically American breakfast dish but we were never quite sure what it meant. Were you? (unless you are one of our US readers of course)
Andrew: A friend of mine asked for these in New York to impress a waitress. It didn’t work!
Dawn: Probably because she has heard every British tourist do the same thing! So, how do we do these then.
One large egg
Butter for frying
Dawn: Butter? Isn’t this going to be very high in fat?
Andrew: It will be a little but this will give you the authentic American taste. After all a little bit of what you fancy …
Dawn: … does you good! I know the drill.
- Place your non-stick frying pan over a hot flame.
- Add a cube of butter. Allow to bubble.
- Crack your egg carefully, and pour into the butter, keeping the yolk whole.
- Ensuring the pan is hot enough will give a nice shape to the egg.
- After a couple of minutes, slide a spatula under the egg to make sure it isn’t sticking, then tilt the pan and allow the egg to slide onto the spatula.
- Carefully flip the egg over. Allow to cook for a further 15-20 seconds, then tilt the pan again, allow the egg to slide back onto the spatula.
- Carefully flip over onto your warmed plate and serve.
Andrew: Perfect with grilled bacon!
For more great recipe ideas keep following us at http://www.forfoodlovers.wordpress.com and on our Twitter feed @Love_Food_UK. Please like us on Facebook too.