Top of the mornin ‘to you! It’s St Patrick’s Day! And what a fabulous feeling it must be in Dublin this morning! A certain Mr O’Driscoll may be quite excused a few glasses of the ‘Black Stuff ‘on his retirement; and what a way to go out!
Dawn: I haven’t the slightest idea what you are talking about!
Andrew: A few episodes of Father Ted and you will catch up!
2 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 Egg, beaten
3 tbsp flour
1.5 tbsp chopped parsley
1.5 tbsp chopped chives
1.5 tbsp chopped lemon thyme
A splash of milk
Salt and pepper
Bacon fat or butter
- Boil the potatoes and mash straight away.
- Add the egg, butter, flour and herbs and mix well.
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper, adding a few drops of milk if the mixture is too stiff.
- Shape into a 2cm thick circle and then cut into eight pieces.
- Dip in seasoned flour.
- Fry in bacon fat or melted butter on a gentle heat.
- Cook the ‘bread’ until crusty and golden on one side and then flip over and cook on the other side 4-5 minutes on each side will do.
- Can be served hot with a knob of butter melting on top, or cold.
- Whichever option, a touch of the black stuff is a great idea!
Dawn: Sounds a lovely dish!
Andrew: Indeed it is!
For more ideas for your suppers, lunches and dinners, follow us at https://forfoodlovers.wordpress.com and at @Love-Food_UK on Twitter,as well as our Facebook and Mumsnet accounts.