Simple, fresh, tasty. A wonderful starter, or an excellent main course, particularly for anyone counting the pounds!
Dawn: It looks like the Italian flag!
Andrew: That is the idea! Wonderful, isn’t it?
Dawn: This is great for one person, or a family, or a dinner party. Just scale up the ingredients.
1 ripe but reasonably firm avocado
1 or 2 large mozzarella balls
2 large ripe vine tomatoes
Salt and pepper
Vinegar – red wine vinegar or balsalmic works best here
- Halve the avocado, then ease the stone out with a teaspoon.
- Carefully peel the skin from each half (it should come away in your fingers) and slice lengthways into 1/2 cm slices.
- Cut the mozzarella and the tomato into 1/2 cm slices also.
- Arrange the tomato slices on your serving plate. Drizzle over a little vinegar of your choice, some olive oil, and season well with freshly ground salt and black pepper.
- Then arrange the avocado and mozzarella as shown, and serve.
Dawn: For those not keen on avocado, replacing it with rocket will make a tasty alternative.
Andrew: And that will make the colours even more like the Italian Flag!
Dawn: The devil is in the detail!!