1 onion, peeled, sliced and chopped
450g fresh tomatoes, washed and cut in halves
1 red pepper, de-cored and cut into quarters
1 clove of garlic, peeled, sliced and crushed
1.2l vegetable stock (made from a stock cube)
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper, putting the tomatoes and red pepper quarters on it. Place in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6, 200°C electric for 45 minutes.
Dawn: I like the vegetables to start to appear charcoaled grilled in appearance as it adds to the soup’s flavour so I like to leave the vegetables in the oven until they start to have this appearance. this takes about 1 hour to achieve and is worth the extra time.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove from the oven and set aside while you prepare the basis of the soup.
- Put the onion into a medium sized saucepan with a splash of cold water and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the onion has become soft and transparent in look. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and vegetable stock, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to enable the ingredients to simmer at a low heat. Cover the saucepan with its lid and cook the ingredients for 20-25 minutes.
- With an electric hand blender, whisk the cooked ingredients until they are all combined to form a thick soup. Serve warm, with garnishes and warm crusty bread.
Andrew: My cue to rise to the occasion and do one of my breads.
Dawn: I’m sure there’s a retort to be had there! I’m biting my tongue!!!
Andrew: You are?
Dawn: I most definitely am!!!