We love sweet potatoes in the Love Food kitchen, and this was an experiment, based on traditional potato cakes and rosti.
Dawn: All excellent accompaniments. These have wonderful colour. Is that leek that I spy there?
Andrew: You can see it there, and there is a little red onion too.
One large sweet potato
Half a red onion
One egg to bind (optional)
- Grate the sweet potato, or put through the food processor.
- Either finely chop or grate the leek and red onion
- Place all the vegetables in a bowl and leave for half an hour.
- A lot of liquid will come out of the sweet potato. Drain will, and squeeze out in some kitchen towel.
- Return to the bowl, mix in the egg if using and season with salt and pepper.
- Take a handful, shape into a ball between floured hands and press down so about 1.5-2 cm thick.
- Repeat with all of the mix.
- Heat a large pan, add a little olive oil and fry for 5-7 minutes on each side. Turn carefully so they don’t break up.
- Serve immediately.
Andrew: These are excellent with any meat dish or with a salad are a filling lunch.
Dawn: And if you vary your seasonings, such as garlic or chilli, you can give a real kick to the cakes!