For perfect, creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes, there’s nothing simpler!
Allow about 200g when peeled potatoes per person (that’s roughly 2 potatoes the size of the palm of your hand for each person)
25g of butter or low fat spread
2 tbsp of milk (any kind)
Pinch of salt
Dawn: Fluffy, light, creamy and divine! I love mashed potatoes!
- Chop the potatoes in halves, then quarters and then again. The smaller the chopped potatoes, the quicker they will cook.
- Place the chopped potatoes into a saucepan large enough for them and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt.
- Place the saucepan on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, continue to boil and cook the potatoes until a fork pushed into the potatoes goes all the way in. They are then cooked. Drain the boiling water off.
- Add the butter and milk, cover the saucepan with its lid and allow the butter to melt.
Andrew: This makes it so much easier to mash with the butter melted, rather than it being solid.
- When the butter is melted, take a masher and start pressing the boiled potatoes until they are fluffy and light in look.
Dawn: And there you have it!
Andrew: Simples! Great as a topping to Shepherd’s Pie or Cottage Pie, too!
For more in the Cooking Duo’s “Essentials” section, follow this blog for daily updates and recipes and the Twitter feed @Love_Food_UK.