Toad in the Hole: an everyday favourite and a tasty meal that can be made as individual portions or one large dish served with lots of vegetables for a filling dinner.
2 tsps of cooking oil
75g of plain flour
200ml of milk
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6, 200°C electric.
- Using a 4 portions Yorkshire pudding tray, put 1/2 tsp of cooking oil into each along with a sausage and place in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the sausages are browned and the cooking oil in hot.
Dawn: You can tell the cooking oil is hot because what looks to be a heat haze comes off it.
Andrew: Yes, look for a faint bluey-looking, almost steam-like rising from the cooking oil.
- Meanwhile, make the batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack the egg into this well along with the milk. Beat with a hand whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter carefully into each Yorkshire pudding hole.
Dawn: A tip to ensure the fat is hot enough is to leave the pudding tray in the oven right up until you are ready to add the batter because the success of a Yorkshire pudding is very much in the cooking oil being hot enough to help the batter rise.
Andrew: To make one large Toad in the Hole rather than 4 individual portions, simply use a large oven proof dish and follow the instructions.
- Place the pudding tray back in the hot oven and cook for a 20-25 minutes or until theYorkshire puddings have risen, looking all puffed-up and golden in colour.
- Serve with lots of vegetables and onion gravy, the recipe for which is here: http://wp.me/p3lk3r-em
Andrew: Do you know that the word sausage is derived from Old French saussiche, from the Latin word salsus meaning salted, Dawn?
Dawn: No, I didn’t – but I do now! I don’t think the art of making sausages is French, though: I understand that sausage-making was originally a matter of making the most of all aspects of an animal’s meat as well as being a method of preserving.
Andrew: Yes, absolutely. Without further-ado, let’s not preserve these wonderful looking Toad in the Holes for much longer and tuck in!